Saturday 24 November 2012

Paris Photo Part II

© Laura Noble

Dearest readers, I have bad news, my other photos from Paris Photo have been destroyed by i-photo! So this is the last of them saved here. However, the next blog I will source the photography favourites to talk about.

© Laura Noble

So here is the amazing venue of the Grand Palais, what a place. It is so impressive I am still in awe of it. Unlike the previous venue it is easier to find your way around with helpful gallons to pinpoint your location for the inevitable meet-ups with friends & colleagues. 


©Anni Leppälä
Just before dark (girl with red ribbon), 2012
53 x 77 cm 

One of the first things to catch my eye was this lovely work by Anni Leppälä, of the Helsinki School. The ribbon reminded me of one of my favourite paintings by Ingres, see below:

Jean-August-Dominique Ingres  (1780 - 1867)
Comtesse d'Haussonville, 1845
oil on canvas
51 7/8 x 36 1/4 in. (131.8 x 92.1 cm) 

I interpreted this painting myself focusing on the ribbon, both in her hair & reflected in the mirror behind her.

© Laura Noble
Comtesse d'Haussonville 2m²
Oil on canvas
2 panels 1 x 2 meters

This is just the left panel, the work is 1 x 2 meters, as is the right hand panel not shown here & the same size, so the complete work is 2 x 2m.

© Laura Noble (detail)
Comtesse d'Haussonville 2m²
Oil on canvas

The ribbon is highly seductive for obvious reasons, however there are many theories about the use of red in art which are worth further discussion. 

©Gerhard Richter
Betty
Oil on canvas
102 x 72 cm

The other obvious correlation was with Gerhard Richter, notably this work. I do prefer Ingres though as his sitter is a young female with a strong character, direct & confident. I also am not a huge fan of photorealist painting. If you want a photo, take a picture! (Ooh have I gone too far here?) Maybe Leppälä is influenced by both, with the patterned jumper & red ribbon...

Perhaps the art world (& its clients) prefers their women submissive? Discuss...


© Laura Noble

So after a wonderful few days, lots of parties, openings & a L A Noble Gallery party at the apartment (thanks to those who came, it was emotional) my last evening in Paris was spent with two wonderful photographer's Øyvind Hjelmen & Helén Petersen in a charming place for duck leg & chips as only the French can make. (All cooked on the little grill behind our amazing owner/waiter/entertainer pictured below) The drop ceiling was in the  classic Parisian style, much like the 'Amelie' cafe last year. 

© Laura Noble

Although the food was average, the evening was top notch & the first chance to try & wind down from another crazy Paris Photo. Loved his braces, why don't more people wear them anymore? So much nicer than belts I say... 


© Laura Noble

Again the red was prevelant in my choice of photographic subject, telling...

© Laura Noble

The view from outside was pretty special too! Nice to have such a place a minute away. 

© Laura Noble

Such civilised characters, (don't be deceived we are all unhinged on the inside) have a nice glass (or two) it was a shame to go back & pack. 

© Laura Noble

So for one last peek, my favourite picture of the whole week through the peep hole in the apartment door. I will find some more pictures if I can salvage files of the party as well as the amazing deli owner who provided the catering for the party at the apartment & helped carry all the produce up 3 flights of stairs along with 2 neighbours who dropped by. Who say Parisian's aren't friendly! 



No comments:

Post a Comment